MY FIRST ROLL OF 35MM FILM

        



It was not until 2020 that I got myself dug into the pit of film reels and pictures. My parents had a habit of capturing every detail of our lives and documenting them into neatly sectioned albums. My mum even wrote down the dates and the scene behind the capture. Occasionally viewing these pictures and discussing them at family gatherings is a really fun tradition.

It’s the fun of that immediate shot and the fact that you don’t get to have a hundred pictures and choose the best among them. Plus no instant preview either. 




My house has a suitcase full of these. I love to call it the suitcase of memories. It holds pictures of my grandparents' memories right from black and white to brown and white and then colored. Pictures as small as the size of a polaroid to as big as a postcard. Watching these right from the time they got married till the time my father was born and their travel stories that followed later made me think of treasuring such undeveloped films (negatives) and why not capture my memories on negatives huh?




Digital pictures are cool because you get to click many at a time, make videos and clips and so many things. But negatives help you nurture the value of the moment. It is really beautiful to remember each one of those with the help of the little marks written on the back of each photo!!


 

I was clueless about all of this until I saw pictures of people still interested in film photos. After thorough research, I found where to get a film from, how to get it developed, and at the same time digitize it. Audrie was a great help in all of this because my parents found it difficult to help me with getting all of it now.


 

I finally got a Fuji C200 film and used an old Nikon AF 220 to capture photos. Being highly excited I tried not to mess things up, so I asked my father to load the film. 



After this, I started my journey of snapping film photos. I clicked all sorts of photos.. family ones, aesthetic, nights, full and less lens exposure all of it. It was really fun. It was then, that dawned on me that I could do film and digital. This helped me realize the importance of a single best shot.


 


I clicked a total of 36 pictures. Some could pass the developing bar while the rest made it home without successfully getting printed to postcard pictures.

The best part of all of this was that I got to know my father showed me all the places he used to go develop his films then, where did he buy his camera from how things were back. Things have changed a lot. The shops where he once got his films from have either completely shut down as they could not keep up with the recent trends while some have accepted digital photography.

All I’d like to say was that the film became the highlight of 2021 and the journey that came along was worth the memories and new experiences. 





The link given below is of my YouTube channel, head over and watch my videos:))

 I hope you like this and you can revert to me in the comments with your favorite moments of 2021. Meet you soon with a new blog.

 XOXO

-smrutay🌻


8 Comments

  1. Interesting way of putting it . 'Film became the highlight of 2021'. Great work on the photographs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work dear.... Memories behind the cameras are always awesome. Keep going ....Wish you good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. खूप खूप छान लिहिले आहे .खरंच फोटो आणि त्या मागच्या आठवणी म्हणजे कॉफी आणि बरंच काही असेच असते.एखादा फोटो सहज म्हणून काढला जातो आणि तो खूप काही देवून जातो.

    ReplyDelete

any suggestions or doubts lemme know:)